The Naturalist Guide is a department of Isthmian Adventures committed to the development of sustainable tourism and the training of the human resources required to maintain sustainable practices. The Naturalist Guide mission is to organize and provide new learning opportunities for the guiding professionals of Panama.
The co-founder of Isthmian Adventures, Christian Gernez, has been involved in the training of tour guides for years. In 2010 Christian began his training endeavors with the co-coordination and facilitation of an intensive training and certification program for the naturalist and interpretive guides of Panama. This project, endorsed by, ATP (Tourism Authority of Panama), CAMTUR (Chamber of Tourism of Panama) and funded by USAID, was carried out by the APTSO Foundation and the Eugene Eisenman Avifauna Foundation of Panama.
Most recent workshops include:
- Sustainable Observation of Cetaceans
- First Aid in Remote Areas
- Program of Specialized Tourism Guides in Protected Areas, Ecotur/AP project conducted on behalf of MiAmbiente (Minister of Environment) and ATP.
- Since 2017 The Naturalist Guide, has been organizing monthly, free, lectures on various topics concerning tourism in the provinces of Colon, Herrera and Veraguas, helping to inspire and register new guides for those regions of the country.
- In 2018 The Naturalist Guide facilitated the training and certification of Site Tour guides in the communities of Pedasi and Santa Fe de Veraguas.